Monday, July 10, 2006

Hola! (Ive been corrected!)

Main leader(outward bound):Luke Collyer
Sub leaders(outward bound):Anna and Sarah
The cool guy behind the shop(outward bound):Tony
Leaders(rotary club cov): Kate and Howard/Harold(we never quite worked it out)

Saturday we had a tour, some getting to know each other activities-rearrange in height order, get inside a rope that shrank, minesweeper type game, over the wall. We got kitted out as well. In the evening we went for a walk nearby, and were shown some edible flowers etc.
Next day we did chores-clearing the area of litter. Then we started some chuff charts. We did some orienteering somewhere cos everyone but me had to wear walking boots. Then in the evening we went on the speed boat, each having a turn to drive.
Monday we went canoeing. 2 canoes were tied together to make a catamaran and another 3 to make a tri-maran. We rowed across the lake and were shown that birch bark is great for lighting fires. We also had lunch and made hot chocolate. Then went back and everyone got soaked. In the evening we swapped instructors and did some tunnelling to show which caves were the best for us to go to.
Tuesday we went on the zip wire, then in the afternoon we were taken by speedboat to the other end of the lake where we had a steamer trip. We got ice creams at the end and went back by speed boat with everyone being pelted with rain as hard as hail but still liquid. In the evening we packed for caving and camping.
Next day we loaded up the trailer and went to Yorkshire to go caving. Some of us got to go through really small tunnels and then we were given the option of going in some more, which I did. We then changed and went to a café above a camping store. We all got cake and a drink. Then we were taken to the campsite where we unloaded the trailer and took it off the minibus. Me, Kate and Luke went shopping for food while everyone else put up the tents. We came back and several people used my phone to ring parents, I then had to sort out one of the girls who was crying cos her dad died(found out later it was 3 years before). Luke was making dinner by this point, and he let me go off for a walk to chill for a bit. I came back and someone made a comment so I went off to chill behind a bush again-after a bit. Then we ate-it tasted really nice. I managed to persuade one of the girls to eat some even though she didn’t want to. Then I helped to serve the pudding-the ice cream or ‘dribble’ as it had become. When we had cleared stuff up, we went further into the field and played some games, after having heard some stories from Luke about the jungle(he went to Belize). We played this game, where we had to say ‘when I’m an astronaught and go to the moon I will take with me…’ and we had to work out how to get it right. I was one of the first few. You had to be stroking your chin. I worked it out cos someone said think outside the box-which was one of the running themes of the week. A few of us then started doing some juggling/throwing balls to Luke for him to catch. We got to bed quite late.
Thursday morning I woke up about 4-as usual on camping trips. I went to the loo and got changed, then went for a walk round an adjacent field, down to the bottom of our field where I saw a heron(which I first thought was a pheasant) and some mice. I turned round to go back and found the place in mist so had to work my way back. I ended up just sitting looking at the trailer tyres, then realised Luke had slept on the minibus, and everyone else started waking up. we had beans, scrambled egg, sausages and bread for breakfast. We were going to have porridge too, but he decided not to. We then packed all our stuff up and piled it into the trailer. Did a final litter sweep and left-almost forgetting to pay(we had to turn around and go back!) we went back to Ingleton(where the café was) and went for a walk up to the water falls. There were some strange trees which had loads of pennies stuck into them. When we finished, we went back to the centre and had lunch. We then did the quickest de-gunge and pack-up Luke has ever seen. And had some time to ourselves to prepare for our assembly Luke made us a TV to put on our heads. After dinner, we were handed over to some other instructors who took up to do the trapeze challenge thing. We had to climb up a telegraph pole(just the pole-no telephone wires) and stand on the top. This bit took me about 15 minutes at the top to stand on it and grab the trapeze to then jump off, swing for a bit, let go giving a little squeal then being lowered down gently. I then went to talk to one of the girls who was scared of heights and had already tried to do the challenge and had ‘failed’. I gave her some encouragement and she decided to try again, but only go half way up to throw herself off. She felt better afterwards.
Friday we did the morning assembly, then went rock climbing, so got our gear together and went to this place I’ve been before-the one with the ice age rock. We ate our lunch while Luke and Anna rigged up the ropes. We did this exercise of walking upright on a rock then some of us had to lie on a rock and spin upside down. We then went over to the rock and were shown about b-laying and got into some rock climbing. I went up 3rd on my team and got stuck about half way up-Luke then had to move the rope over a rock and I still didn’t get all the way up. I kind of shouted at someone who was trying to encourage me and then was told I had to come down which was understandable. I was extremely tired, so got a bit teary and after helping one guy up and back down the rock, took some time out and hid in some bracken. One of the boys spotted me quite a while after they had all gone back, then the guy I shouted at came to find me and I apologised but I still didn’t feel that good. We went to see the ice age boulder and saw some boulderers. We went back to the minibus and back to the centre in time for unpacking and dinner. After dinner we went to the beach bit by the lake and were shown how to make a proper fire. We then made our own. There was a bigger fire further round made by another group, which we then sat round and had marshmallows and these random banana things made with chocolate buttons which tasted really nice. Our marshmallow sticks were made by Luke. He had 2 machetes (you don’t pronounce the second e) and we got to hold one and feel how sharp the blade was-safely of course.
Saturday we met after clearing our rooms and breakfast(which everyone went in different times for regardless of previous days’ practice-so I was running round trying to find everyone) and then had a get together with Luke, where everyone gave him a group hug(apples!). then the other leaders got one too. We were shown Luke’s bott fly from his head when he was out in the jungle. It was very big, and had shrunk! We went outside and they gave us a little speech which I started to cry at lol then we were all presented with certificates and had a group photo. I then had to talk to Luke and Anna about my DofE stuff, which no one else realised so some of them tried to follow. I almost cried again cos I didn’t want to leave and they were being really nice. I got Luke’s email address for any problems getting things signed, and the centres address for sending my book to. We then had to go and I started crying again.
We should get t-shirts(hopefully signed) with our pictures that Harold? (Or is it Howard?) took all week.

1 Comments:

Blogger Andy said...

Sounds like a pretty full week you had there. At least you enjoyed it and got something good out of it. And atleast you will see them again. =D

2:44 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home